The Annual Conference
The nature and importance of the conference
KILAW’s annual conference is the practical translation of the School’s vision and mission to “achieve Excellence in Legal Education with a critical thinking approach”pursuant to its policy on the importance of holding conference, seminars and workshops with local and international participation, in order to guarantee the permanent communication between faculty members and the Kuwaiti and international legal society. KILAW makes sure the academic conference is held annually where the eminent and recent topics are presented, and which require follow-up and discussion by legal experts and jurists to contribute in shedding light on such topics and find convenient solutions.
These conferences aims mainly to focus on discussing the recent issues in the world, through an objective academic approach by showing the different perspectives of various national, Arab and international legal schools.
The annual conference is one of the academic activities that KILAW is keen to organize annually; it is an academic tradition where colleges and universities in the world looking for organize it in order of encouraging academic research and contribute to provide solutions for legal issues, social and economic challenges faced by the community. In this context, KILAW adopted this activity, where it initiated and include it within the school plans and programs, as allocated financial resources and human cadres to ensure the success and continuity, now it is preparing to hold its fourth conference, after completed successfully held three previous conferences, witnessed by participation of dozens of thinkers and researchers from inside and outside Kuwait.
The conference have a vital importance for the school of several aspects, it forms an important event to discuss issues and challenges facing the academic community particularly, wide social circle in general, and to provide solutions and interpretations on them by scholars, researchers and experts, including faculty members, which It is an outstanding contribution in the context of the social responsibility of Kuwait international law school.
The importance of the annual conference clearly appears with respect to the support and encouragement of academic research, which is witnessing an annual high turnout by faculty in Arab and foreign law schools through posting the research proposals to participate in. In addition, it is an opportunity for faculty members of Kuwait international law school to share their research, debates and communication with the elite of the leading researchers in various fields. Also the importance of the conference reflected from the scientific point of view that the research presented in the conference forms a source for academic research inside and outside the school. In this context, KILAW’s administration provides institutions and stakeholders inside and outside Kuwait, and libraries in the Arab and international law Schools copies of the convened conferences for the purpose of dissemination of interest and positive contribution in the dissemination of scientific research.
Conference and the vision of the school
The annual conference is considered one of the mechanisms by which the school administration is seeking to encourage achieve its vision of providing critical and distinct legal education scientific research, so for students and faculty members, where the conference is a forum for the debate of ideas and jurisprudence for contemporary problems by faculty members and experts and specialists.
School administration has been keen to organize an annual competition for the best student research to be submitted to the conference, in the framework of encouraging student participation and interest in the themes of the conference.
Mechanism to select topics and research of the Annual Conference
The theme of the conference is selected and approved by the School’s Council at the end of each academic year based on suggestions provided by the researches and conference’s committee, and take into account the importance of the topic and the vital of problems addressed and the nature of the slides and the sectors in which its constituents.
The choice of research mechanism for participation is based on the following steps:
- Prepare a detailed agenda of the conference theme, carried out by members of the research and conference committee in the school.
- Public invitations to all faculty members in Arab and foreign law colleges to participate with proposals concerning the theme of the conference, within a month.
- The formation of an academic committee by decision of the President and Dean of the school that shall study the research proposals and choose what suits with the themes of the conference, a process that takes between a week and ten days.
- Informing researchers who their proposals have been accepted in order to continue in the preparation of the research.
- Preparation of research period lasts between 4 to 6 weeks.
- All conference researches are subject for review by members of the academic committee, and researchers will be informed of the arbitrators report and their comments in order to make the necessary adjustments and implement what they are asked about the research.
Report on conferences and researches presented in
The first annual conference was held under the title” Current Legal Issues in the Arab World” on 15 – 16 December 2013, it was held for two full days, and included four sessions:
- Constitutional Reforms in the Arab World
- Transitional Justice and its Challenges in the Arab World
- Legal Changes in the Arab World and International Law
- Legal Aspects of Economic and Financial Changes in the Arab World
The second annual conference was held on the “Recent challenges to the right to privacy” on 15 -16 February 2015, it was held for two full days, and included five sessions:
- Modern Notion of right to privacy in various constitutions
- challenges to right to privacy within the framework of International Law
- Challenges to the basic guarantees of right to privacy
- Criminal and civil protection for right to privacy
- Rights to privacy and the technology developments.
The conference included also a special session for the academic papers of KILAW’s students.
The third annual conference: was held on 10-11 May 2016 on: “Corporate Governance and Capital Markets Regulation” for two full days, and included six sessions:
- Forms of Governance and Its Regulations
- Family companies governance
- Islamic financial and banking institutions governance
- Protecting Minority Shareholders
- Governance Institutions and their Control:
- The state
- The institution
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities Listing
- Strengthening Transparency and the Integrity of Financial Markets
- Dispute Settlement in Securities Regulation: Procedures, Courts, Arbitration.
The fourth annual conference: was held on 10 and 11 May 2017 on : “Law.. An Instrument of Reform and Development” and included sixth sessions:
- Pillars of the legal policy of the state in light of the changes
- Role, mechanisms and institutions of lawmaking: between inertia and update
- Policies and institutions of law enforcement: towards strengthening respect for the rule of law and to achieve its objectives
- System and mechanisms to interpret, evaluate and Law Reform
- Reform role of law: compared experiences
- The role of law faculties and the rights in promoting the reform role of law
Number of researches presented to the conferences
|Conference||Total number of researches||From within the school||From outside the school|
The mechanisms for continued success of the conference
There are several mechanisms that will help to ensure the continuity of the success of the conference, some of which currently exist and some are being discussed, including, for example:
- The formation of an organizing committee for the conference early on, and from a marketing and communication committee
- Widen the scope of participation of researchers from inside and outside Kuwait.
- Print the conference publications simultaneously with organization time.
- Expanding the circle of consultation in the field of conference themes.
- The concentration of the invitation on the faculty members and personalities of direct relevance to the themes of the conference.
- The expansion of the media coverage of the conference through the various and new media.
- Activating the conference program to include other activities in coordination with the authorities and sponsors.