Kuwait International Law School (KILAW) was established under the Amiri Decree No. 144 of the year 2008, under license from the Private Universities Council (PUC), Ministry of Higher Education. It is the first private law school in the State of Kuwait to provide education and training in law that complies with national requirements and needs with a comparative approach towards international legal systems with a special emphasis on Anglo-American and European methods of legal education. KILAW was granted the Academic & Institutional Accreditation from the Private University Council (PUC) in July 2014, for (4) years, after the visit of the PUC’s accreditation team to KILAW on October 2013.
Achieve excellence in legal education, with a critical thinking approach.
- To participate in providing the societywith distinguished qualified personnel who perform in the legal profession to the highest professional standards, in both theoretical and practical aspects, with critical analysis of courts.judgments and legal issues, in order to serve justice and defend fundamental rights.
- Granting an LLB degree in law which meets the needs of, and qualifications for the legal profession.
- Granting an LLM degree in law and the interrelated disciplines connected to law.
- Granting a paralegal diploma qualifying for the paralegal profession.
- Integrating theoretical and practical methodology in legal education.
- Enabling high school graduates and other degree holders, via legal education, to secure new jobs within the public and private sectors.
- Participating in the development of Kuwaiti manpower to meet market needs.
- Promoting legal awareness and participating in creating general legal and
- Sharia’a knowledge in society.
- Attracting students studying outside Kuwait to seek legal education at home.
- Maintaining Islamic and Arab values.
- Respecting and adhering to the academic and legal standards in practicing law.
- Recognizing and adhering to the rule of law concept in the profession.
- Commitment to the ethics of the legal profession, maintaining and preserving it.
- Adhering to the values of diversity, and non-discrimination, and implementing
- the principles of equal opportunities in access to legal education.
KILAW’s Strategic Approaches:
KILAW has set five main strategic approaches to teaching and learning:
1-Achieve Excellence in Legal Education with a Critical Thinking Approach.
2- Enhance ability to compare between systems, cross-cultural and comparative.
3. Teach in English and provide English language instruction, to improve the competitive edge and produce bilingual students.
4- Respond to growing areas of legal interest and expand elective courses.
5- Offer practical training and expand student professional development.